Friday, January 22, 2010

not missing...just conflicted

Did anyone see the Biggest Loser on Tuesday?  When the red lady only lost a pound and Jillian was screaming at her?  I was yelling at Jillian, and my kids are going "wow, she's just like you".  That's exactly how it goes for me. Exercise exercise exercise....count calories, count every bite......and...nada.

I started this blog believing that if I just exercised a lot more, and was super-hyper vigilant about every mouthful that I put in my pie-hole, that somehow, eventually, the stars would align and I would prevail. My husband watched me, encouraged me and comforted me when nothing happened. He also gently told me that I had to consider other options, because he could see me going through this for the next 8 years, as he has watched me for the last 8 years.

So.....we went together to a seminar on bariatric surgery to find out more. I went reluctantly, not believing  that it was an option, and I didn't think it was an option that was attractive to me. I didn't want to cop out, and take "the easy way" out and I wanted to do it "the natural way" but the more I listened, the more it seemed that it was a tool, and one that might help my metabolic problems. Apparently, this kind of surgery lets the brain know that the stomach is full, and that there is no starvation going on. I am going to find out a lot more about which procedure would be the most appropriate.

So, there you have it. I felt a bit worried about putting it out here, because it feels a little like I'm letting someone down, but that's crazy. This is my life, and my journey, my body and my health. I need different tools to help me succeed because my metabolism is screwed, so I'm exploring my options

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely NOT letting anyone down. You have to do what YOU feel is best for you and your family. Whatever option you choose, just be informed, and do it with all you've got!

    It's not the easy way out, for sure, as friends of mine who have had it have seen. However you lose the weight it is hard. I wish you the best on whichever path you choose!

    ReplyDelete